With cloud computing on the rise and fast becoming the ideal solution for managing your application without an enterprise budget, scalability and reliability are among the most important planning issues. While scaling application servers is easily done, scaling your database is often a real challenge — not to mention keeping it up and running despite server or network outages. Whether you use a SQL or No-SQL database engine, your database must scale with robust reliability to ensure your application performs in the cloud. Cory Isaacson, CodeFutures’ CEO, recently addressed these issues at a RightScale meet-up.
In this video you will find answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about database sharding:
· How do you keep your database reliable in the cloud?
· How can you perform maintenance on your database without downtime?
· What if your application goes viral? How do you plan to scale our database for dramatic usage increases?
· How do you scale simple reads and writes?
· Do you need to shard a No-SQL database?
· What is the best database engine for your application?